Wine is a translation layer (a program loader) capable of running Windows applications on Linux and other POSIX compatible operating systems. Windows programs running in Wine act as native programs would, running without the performance or memory usage penalties of an emulator, with a similar look and feel to other applications on your desktop. Wine 1.0.1 was released recently, and our developers are currently working towards a Wine 1.2 release. There are bugs and missing features, but many people find Wine useful in running a growing number of Windows programs. Features of the application:
- Designed for source and binary compatibility with Win32 code
- Win32 API test suite to ensure compatibility
- Compilable on a wide range of C compilers
- Permits mixing of Win32 and POSIX code
- Permits mixing of ELF (.so) and PE (.dll/.exe) binaries in one address space
- Win32 compatible header files
- Automatically generated API documentation
- Resource compiler
- Message compiler
- IDL compiler
- Extensive Unicode support
- Internationalization -- Wine supports 16 languages
- Built-in debugger and configurable trace messages
- External memory checker support using Valgrind
- Sample programs
Wine is a free software application from the Other subcategory, part of the System Utilities category.
The app is currently available in English and it was last updated on 2009-08-17. The program can be installed on WinXP, Windows2000, Windows2003, Windows Media Center Edition 2005, Windows Vista Starter, Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows Vista Home Basic x64, Windows Vista Home Premium x64, Windows Vista Business x64, Windows Vista Enterprise x64, Windows Vista Ultimate x64.
Wine (version 1.3.3) has a file size of 15.62 MB and is available for download from our website.
Just click the green Download button above to start. Until now the program was downloaded 450 times.
We already checked that the download link to be safe, however for your own protection we recommend that you scan the downloaded software with your antivirus.